For 2018 the Architecture Fringe programme will be lightly structured under a provocation entitled COMMON / SENSES
Self-directed projects on the open programme are requested to consider this provocation within their work. We hope the essence of COMMON / SENSES is open enough for you to find something inspiring within it.
noun: common senses
Greek koinḕ aísthēsis then Latin sēnsus commūnis
1. sound practical judgement that is independent of specialised knowledge, training, or the like; normal native intelligence
1. belonging equally to, or shared alike by, two or more or all in question
2. pertaining or belonging equally to an entire community, nation or culture; public
3. joint; united
4. widespread; general; ordinary
5. of frequent occurrence; usual; familiar
6. course; vulgar
7. a tract of land owned or used jointly by a community
8. common people
1. any of the faculties such as sight, hearing, smell, taste or touch by which humans and animals perceive stimuli originating from outside or inside the body.
2. these faculties collectively
3. their operation or function; sensation
4. any special capacity for perception, estimation, appreciation etc.
COMMON suggests sharing; a sharing of experience, location or point in time. An intersection, however temporary, of two or more paths with distinct departure points and varied endings. A collective. The everyday.
SENSES suggests wider connection; an awareness of someone, something or somewhere, else. Encounter. Empathy. Invigoration. Enlightenment.
Got an idea for a self-directed project, exhibition, event or happening? Join us at one of the monthly meet-ups to present your thoughts, hear from others and get some help. If you can't make one of the meet-ups, feel free to drop us a line at email@example.com \o/
The Architecture Fringe 2018 Open Call launches on Monday 8th January 2018 and closes for confirmed submissions at 12 noon on Monday 9th April 2018.